Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Snowy Photo Tips

Ok so I've had people ask me to start doing photography tutorials. I don't ever do these, but I hope it helps you.  I thought it would be appropriate to do a Holiday festive tutorial on how to take photos in the falling snow like this!
First off, I have my daughter who is my beautiful subject, who's playing in the snow. I kept her in what she was wearing to kind of pop out in the snow, so she has her bright red P.J's on, but I also loved her lighter fur hooded jacket that I think went well with the snow. Make sure not too have too much white, otherwise your subject could look washed out. And this way, she just looked really natural in her P.J's and not too done up, which is what I like. (totally personal preference)
I shoot Canon, but whatever SLR your shooting with will be fine. Now, the key for taking good pictures in the snow, is to have the fluffiest snow possible. If your shutter speed is too slow, then your snow is going to look streaky. Kind of like this.....
We don't want this for what were doing. I had my shutter speed at 1/400, so that it was much quicker at taking the photo, which make the snow fall slow down in the photo, made it look like it was standing still. However, if you turn your shutter speed up that high your going to need to up your ISO to let some of the light back in. So turn it up to about 500. Then you'll want your apature pretty low at about 3.5. ( Thats what mine was at) And voila!! You have a gorgeous snowy picture! 
Hope this helps! Leave comments for any questions.  Click HERE for Madi & Dereks winter snow shoot

5 comments:

  1. How in all magicalness do you get such beautiful depth of field at 3.5 aperture? Maybe I'm doing something awfully wrong, or maybe I'm not using the right kind of a lens, or maybe I'm just inept at camera use, I never seem to capture such sharp images with such depth of field at apertures higher than 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few things that come to mind. First, when Im trying to achieve the best depth of field possible, I tend to try to be as far away from my subject as possible, and then use my zoom, as opposed to being up close when taking the picture. Second, I don't know if you have your focus on Manual or Auto focus, but when I took these I was in Auto focus, thats usually what helps me to get them pretty sharp. Last, You could try using a wide angle lens if your not already.
    Hope that helps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips! Gorgeous photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! As an aside, "whala" should be "voilà". Those tricky French!

    ReplyDelete